On August 20, 1858 Ashland Baptist Church was organized by fifteen members who came from nearby Winn's, Taylorsville and Walnut Grove Baptist Churches. That first meeting was held in the Union Meeting House currently the Masonic Hall on England Street and served as the worship center until the dedication of the new church on Railroad Avenue. That "new" church building now serves as the Hanover Arts and Activities Center.
During the Civil War several battles were fought in the area and the church was used as a hospital. In 1967, having outgrown its Railroad Avenue facility, the congregation moved to its present location at 800 Thompson Street. The last worship was held in the original church building on June 25, 1967 and the following Sunday worship was held at its new location. On April 8, 1970 the church voted to change its name from Ashland Baptist Church to First Baptist Church, Ashland.
In 1977 a study committee was formed for future building needs. In 1980 a new wing consisting of a larger fellowship hall (now Ellis Hall) and Sunday School space was constructed. A third wing was added in 1997 providing additional office space and Christian education classes. The church completed a new sanctuary and fellowship hall in 2006.
In its 154 year history First Baptist Church has had twenty seven pastors. Following the twenty two and a half year ministry of Dr. James Ellis, Robert E. Thompson became pastor in September, 1992. The church's mission for all its history is reflected in our mission statement: "Transforming people for Christ in Ashland, in the world, one person at a time." This statement is a constant reminder of our calling to share and to live the Good News of Jesus Christ wherever we are. "Lead on O King Eternal!"
First Baptist Church, Ashland
800 Thompson Street
Ashland, VA 23005
Sunday Worship8:30 a.m. - Worship Service
9:45 a.m. - Sunday School
11:00 a.m. - Worship Service
|© Copyright 2011. First Baptist Church, Ashland, VA|